G-STIC ONLINE SIDE EVENT DURING THE 2021 STI FORUM
Looking beyond COVID-19: integrated pathways to address health, economy and climate together
The sixth annual STI Forum took place from 4 to 5 May 2021. The Forum was organized by the UN interagency task team on STI for the SDGs (IATT), convened by UN-DESA and UNCTAD, and the 10-Member Group of high-level representatives appointed by the Secretary General.
The G-STIC online side event on 4 May, in relation to the 2021 STI Forum, was organised by the Permanent Missions of Belgium and Brazil to the United Nations.
TURNING THE COVID-19 CRISIS INTO AN OPPORTUNITY
New post-pandemic technology trends
The way health and sustainability challenges interconnect has never been clearer than during the COVID-19 pandemic. We urgently need better ways to provide healthcare and education, as well as decarbonising our energy systems, making agriculture and nutrition more sustainable and ensuring our cities are both sustainable and healthful places to be. While COVID-19 has encouraged technological changes, and even demonstrated that acceleration of technological innovation is feasible, the question of how to leverage technology transformation opportunities beyond COVID-19 still remains open.
During the online G-STIC side event, chaired by Dirk Fransaer (Managing Director, VITO), speakers showcased some innovative, market-ready integrated technological solutions which offer doable ways to bring about the paradigm shifts which will move societies and economies onto more sustainable development paths.
- H.E. Philippe Kridelka, Ambassador, Permanent Representative of Belgium to the UN
- H.E. Ronaldo Costa Filho, Ambassador, Permanent Representative of Brazil to the UN
- Shantanu Mukherjee, Chief, Policy and Analysis Branch, Division for Sustainable Development, UN-DESA
- Dirk Fransaer, Managing Director, VITO
- Paulo Gadelha, former President & coordinator Strategy for 2030 Agenda, Fiocruz
- Phoebe Koundouri, Co-Chair, SDSN Europe and SDSN Greece
- Vibha Dhawan, Director-General, TERI
- Thulani Dlamini, CEO, CSIR
- Hussain Mohammed Al Mahmoudi, CEO, Sharjah Research, Technology and Innovation Park
- Sandra Piesik, Director Architect, 3 ideas
- Bai Yu, Prof, Deputy Director, Division of Science and Technology, GuangZhou Energy Institute of Energy Conversion, Chinese Academy of Sciences